Potamos is a big village, now a suburb of the city of Corfu, situated 4 Kilometers away. It is named after the river that flows through the area providing the most important source of water for Corfu. The two banks of the river are united by the bridge of Asyrmatos, an architectural monument from the Venetian period.
Potamos is one of the oldest and most beautiful villages of the island. Many mansions still exist in the settlement dating back to the 16th century. The church of Zoodohos Pigi – Agios Barbaros with the 35 meter belfry was built in the beginning of the 16th century. The church of Agia Eleousa on the hill was built in 1562, but was entirely destroyed in 1943 and was rebuilt. Next to Agia Eleousa stands the old school building of Potamos, built in 1741, which is in ruins today. For many years it schooled hundreds of students for their primary education. The ground floor was used as storage space and a part of it was used as housing for the priest. On the top floor were the classes.